Today, five Yanks piled into Mrs. Gardner's car and drove up north to celebrate Canada Day with an open water swim race in Noonchuk Lake.* Karin, Bob, Liz, Jeanne and me. Most of us swam the 4k, which was two circles around a clear, smooth lake surrounded by green-green trees on a perfect blue day.
A few lessons:
1. Being in good pool-swimming shape does not translate to open water performance. To race lake, swim lake.
2. I don't really like swimming in circles. Especially two. Nothing beats a point-to-point.
3. The age-group blue ribbon does help a bit.
4. Canada has the best candy. Nice people, too.
5. I have some fun-ass friends.
Happy Canada Day to our Northern Neighbors, eh!
* The lake is called Sasamat Lake but was rebaptized due to my poor memory.